Coxswain Grade 1 NC
Coxswain Grade 1 NC Course
Complete Theory by Remote Learning now
NEW – Remote Learning Payment Plan now available
Initial Payment $1,114
(includes enrolment, course materials, written assessments and assignments)
Balance of $1,500
(includes face to face, practical and on board components). Due after “Social Distancing” requirements have been lifted.
The Coxswain Grade 1 NC Course can be completed by attending a Full Time Course or by Online/Remote Learning.
Upcoming 2020 Full Time Course Dates:
16 May to 2 June 2020 – This course may be cancelled due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Please contact us on 03 5229 5432 for further details.
8 to 25 August 2020
7 to 24 November 2020
Online/Remote Learning – Enrol at any time.
Further Course Date information.
Price – Full Fee $2,614
Price – if eligible for Funding $1,594
Price – if you have a current concession card and are eligible for Funding $669
See our Price List for further course fee information.
Successful completion of the MAR20318 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal) can lead to the issue of an AMSA Coxswain Grade 1 NC Certificate of Competency.
The Coxswain Grade 1 NC Course can be completed by:
- attending a 2 week course (includes classroom and on board tuition and assessment); and/or,
- Online/Remote Learning (attendance required for written and practical/on board Assessment).
On board components are conducted on our 17 m training vessel “Delphinus“.
The Coxswain Grade 1 NC Course includes the following components:
- Nautical Knowledge
- Engineering Knowledge
- Elements of Shipboard Safety
Upon successfully completing all course requirements participants will receive a Certificate of Course Completion for MAR20318 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal).
MAR20318 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal) is a nationally accredited certificate recognized in all States and Territories within Australia.
To achieve the AMSA Coxswain Grade 1 NC Certificate of Competency applicants are required to hold a Marine Radio Licence. Marine Training Services conducts a Marine Radio (Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency) Course with the Coxswain Grade 1 NC Course.
Please note: The Coxswain Grade 1 NC qualification includes First Aid Unit of Competency “HLTAID003 Provide first aid”. As Marine Training Services does not offer a First Aid Course, this unit will need to be completed with another course provider.
Coxswain Grade 1 NC Course applicants are required to have a general command of spoken and written English, and be able to make simple mathematical calculations.
The course includes physical activities while on board the training vessel and during in-water activities.
Please note: To achieve an AMSA Coxswain Grade 1 NC Certificate of Competency, individuals are required to meet health and eyesight requirements as detailed in the National Standards for Commercial Vessels Part D Crew Competencies. https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/regulations-and-standards/national-standard-commercial-vessels
The Full Time Coxswain Grade 1 NC Courses is conducted over 2 weeks and includes weekends. The course has been designed to be completed as timetabled.
Maximum Course Enrolment Duration: 12 months
The Theory for the following course components can be completed Online or by Remote Learning:
- Nautical Knowledge; and,
- Engineering Knowledge.
Attendance is required for:
- Elements of Shipboard Safety; and,
- On board/Practical Tuition and Assessment; and,
- Supervised Written Assessments.
The Theory component of the Marine Radio (Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency) Course can also be completed Online or by Remote Learning.
Coxswain Grade 1 NC Course participants are required to attend all practical course components, these include but are not limited to:
- vessel operation and handling exercises
- in-water liferafting and survival activities
- use of flares
- use of firefighting equipment
Download Course Guide for more information
Certificate of Completion
The AMSA Coxswain Grade 1 NC Certificate of Competency may allow the holder to perform the following duties:
- Command and operate vessel up to 12 metres long
- Carry Passengers
- Operate in inshore waters (within 15 nm laterally along the coast) (only if at least half of qualifying sea service is seaward of sheltered waters); or in sheltered waters or within 5 nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease
- Operate vessels engines:
- Inboard – <500 kW
- Outboard – unlimited
- Operate tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nm of a parent vessel in the EEZ (within 200 nm of Australian coast lines)
To achieve an AMSA Coxswain Grade 1 NC Certificate of Competency (CoC) you are required to successfully complete the following:
- MAR20318 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal) Course
- AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA) (Assessed during course delivery and valid for 12 months)
- Sea Service (see Coxswain Grade 1 CoC Sea Service requirements below)
- Marine Radio
- First Aid (Unit HLTAID003 Provide first aid)
- AMSA Certificate of Competency Application Requirements
Marine Training Services conducts a Marine Radio Course (Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency) with Coxswain Grade 1 NC Course delivery.
Marine Training Services does not offer a First Aid Course.
AMSA Certificate of Competency Application requirements include being at least 16 years old and meeting medical and eyesight requirements.
Coxswain Grade 1 NC Certificate of Competency Qualifying Sea Service Requirement
Qualifying Sea Service can be conducted on either recreational or commercial vessels 5 metres or greater in length while working in a deck, or a deck and engineering capacity.
And must include at least either:
- 30 days on board commercial vessel ≥ 5 m long while working in a deck, or deck and engineering capacity; and,
- complete an approved AMSA Task Book;
- 240 days on vessels ≥ 5 m long.
At least half of the Qualifying Sea Service must be completed in the 5 years prior to applying for a Certificate of Competency; and,
At least half of the Qualifying Sea Service must be seaward of sheltered waters to be able to operate to the full inshore waters limit of the Certificate of Competency. If at least half of the qualifying sea services is not seaward of sheltered waters the Certificate of Competency will be restricted to operation only in sheltered waters or within 5 nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease.
Further Coxswain Grade 1 NC Certificate of Competency and Sea Service information can be found on the Australian Maritime Safety Authority’s (AMSA) website at https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualifications-training/domestic-qualifications/coxswain-grade-1-near-coastal and in the National Standards for Commercial Vessels Part D Crew Competencies at https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/regulations-and-standards-vessels/national-standard-commercial-vessels.