Coxswain Grade 2 NC
MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal)
Successful completion of the Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course can lead to the issue of an AMSA Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency.
The Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course can be completed by:
- attending a scheduled 2 week course (includes classroom and on board tuition and assessment); and/or,
- Online/Remote Learning (attendance required for written and practical/on board Assessment).
On board components are conducted on our 17 m training vessel “Delphinus“.
The Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course includes the following components:
- Nautical Knowledge (including collision regulations, the buoyage system, small boat handling)
- Engineering Knowledge (inboard and outboard engines)
- Safety and Emergency (safety and survival skills, and Firefighting)
Upon successfully completing all course requirements participants will receive a Certificate of Course Completion for MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal).
MAR10418 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) is a nationally accredited certificate recognized in all States and Territories within Australia.
Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course applicants are required to have a general command of spoken and written English, and be able to make simple mathematical calculations.
The course includes physical activities while on board the training vessel and during in-water activities.
Please note: To achieve an AMSA Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency, individuals are required to meet health and eyesight requirements as detailed in the National Standards for Commercial Vessels Part D Crew Competencies. https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/regulations-and-standards/national-standard-commercial-vessels
The Full Time Coxswain Grade 2 NC Courses is conducted over 2 weeks and includes weekends. The course has been designed to be completed as timetabled.
If required Fee for Service students may be given up to 12 months from course commencement to successfully complete all course requirements.
The Theory for the follow course components can be completed Online or by Remote Learning:
- Nautical Knowledge; and,
- Engineering Knowledge.
Attendance is required for:
- Safety and Emergency; and,
- On board/Practical Tuition and Assessment; and,
- Supervised Written Assessments.
Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course participants are required to attend all practical course components, these include but are not limited to:
- vessel operation and handling exercises
- in-water survival activities
- use of flares
- use of firefighting equipment
Download Course Guide for more information
Certificate of Completion
The AMSA Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency may allow the holder to perform the following duties:
- Command and operate vessel up to 12 metres long
- Not carrying passengers
- In sheltered waters or within 5 nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease
- Operate vessels engines:
- Inboard – <100 kW (unless endorsed to <500 kW by successfully completing Coxswain Grade 1 Engineering)
- Outboard – unlimited
- Operate tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nm of a parent vessel in the EEZ (within 200 nm of Australian coast lines)
To achieve an AMSA Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency (CoC) you are required to successfully complete the following:
- MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) Course
- AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA) (Assessed during course delivery and valid for 12 months)
- Sea Service (see Coxswain Grade 2 CoC Sea Service requirements below)
- AMSA Certificate of Competency Application Requirements
AMSA Certificate of Competency Application requirements include being at least 16 years old and meeting medical and eyesight requirements.
Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency Qualifying Sea Service Requirement
Qualifying Sea Service can be conducted on either recreational or commercial vessels while performing appropriate tasks.
And must include at least either:
- 7 days qualifying Sea Service; and,
- complete an approved AMSA Task Book.
- 60 days of qualifying Sea Service.
At least half of the Qualifying Sea Service must be completed in the 5 years prior to applying for a Certificate of Competency.
Further Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency and Sea Service information can be found on the Australian Maritime Safety Authority’s (AMSA) website at https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualifications-training/domestic-qualifications/coxswain-grade-2-near-coastal and in the National Standards for Commercial Vessels Part D Crew Competencies at https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/regulations-and-standards-vessels/national-standard-commercial-vessels.