Coxswain Grade 2 NC
Coxswain Grade 2 NC Courses are conducted as scheduled.
Practical and On Board course components are conducted at venues in Geelong and aboard our 17 m training vessel “Delphinus”.
Course Date information.
See our Price List for course fee information.
MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal)
Successful completion of the Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course can lead to the issue of an AMSA Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency.
The Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course includes the following components:
- Nautical Knowledge (including collision regulations, the buoyage system, small boat handling)
- Engineering Knowledge (inboard and outboard engines)
- Safety and Emergency (safety and survival skills, and Firefighting)
Upon successfully completing all course requirements participants will receive a MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) Course completion certificate.
MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) is a nationally accredited certificate recognized in all States and Territories within Australia.
Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course applicants are required to have a general command of spoken and written English, be able to make simple mathematical calculations, and access to the internet and email.
The course includes physical activities while on board the training vessel and during in-water activities.
Assignment are in Microsoft Word format.
Please note: To achieve an AMSA Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency, individuals are required to meet health and eyesight requirements as detailed in AMSA Marine Order 505 available at www.amsa.gov.au.
The course has been designed to be completed as scheduled.
The Theory for the follow course components can be completed Online or by Remote Learning:
- Nautical Knowledge; and,
- Engineering Knowledge.
Attendance is required for:
- Safety and Emergency; and,
- On board/Practical Tuition and Assessment; and,
- Supervised Written Assessments.
Coxswain Grade 2 NC Course participants are required to attend all course components. Practical components include, but are not limited to:
- vessel operation and handling exercises
- in-water survival activities
- use of flares
- use of firefighting equipment
Download Course Guide for more information
Certificate of Completion
The AMSA Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency may allow the holder to perform the following duties:
- Command and operate vessel up to 12 metres long
- Carrying passengers
- In sheltered waters or within 5 nm of shore or aquaculture lease
- with Propulsion Power – Inboard <100 kW and Outboard unlimited. (<500 kW inboard propulsion endorsement by completing Coxswain Grade 1 Engineering Units MARB027 & MARC038)
- tender within 3 nm of a parent vessel in EEZ (200 nm limit)
- perform duties of a Coxswain Grade 3 NC
To achieve an AMSA Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency (CoC) you are required to successfully complete the following:
- MAR10418 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) Course
- AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA) (Assessed during course delivery and valid for 12 months from course completion)
- Sea Service (see Coxswain Grade 2 CoC Sea Service requirements below)
- AMSA Certificate of Competency Application Requirements
AMSA Certificate of Competency Application requirements include being at least 16 years old and meeting medical and eyesight requirements.
Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency Qualifying Sea Service Requirement
Qualifying Sea Service can be conducted on either recreational or commercial vessels while performing appropriate tasks.
And must include at least either:
- 10 days qualifying Sea Service on commercial or recreational vessels; and,
- complete an approved AMSA Task Book.
- 50 days of qualifying Sea Service.
At least half of the Qualifying Sea Service on commercial or recreational vessels.
Further Coxswain Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency and Sea Service information can be found on the Australian Maritime Safety Authority’s (AMSA) website at https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualifications-training/domestic-qualifications/coxswain-grade-2-near-coastal and in the AMSA Marine Order 505 https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/regulations-and-standards/marine-order-505-certificates-competency-national-law