MED 3 NC
The MED 3 NC Course can be complete by attending a Full Time Course or by Online/Remote Learning.
Melbourne/Geelong – Upcoming Full Time Course Dates.
Monday, 27 April to Friday, 8 May 2020
(not including Elements of Shipboard Safety)
Monday, 7 to 18 September 2020
(not including Elements of Shipboard Safety)
Online/Remote Learning – Enrol at any time.
Further Course Date information.
Price – Full Fee $1,408*
Price – if eligible for Funding $808*
*price not including Elements of Shipboard Safety
See our Price List for further course fee information.
The MED 3 NC Course includes an Elements of Shipboard Safety component which can be completed in one of our scheduled ESS Courses. See ESS Timetables
Upon successfully completing all course requirements participants will receive a certificate of course completion for the MAR20418 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Near Coastal), a nationally accredited certificate recognised in all States and Territories in Australia.
Please note: The MED 3 NC qualification includes First Aid Unit of Competency “HLTAID003 Provide first aid”. As Marine Training Services does not offer First Aid you will be required to complete this unit with another provider.
Course applicants are required to have a good command of spoken and written English, and be able to make mathematical calculations.
The course includes physical activities while on board the training vessel and during in-water activities in the Elements of Shipboard Safety component.
Please note: To achieve an AMSA MED 3 NC Certificate of Competency, individuals are required to meet health and eyesight requirements as detailed in the National Standards for Commercial Vessels Part D Crew Competencies. https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/regulations-and-standards/national-standard-commercial-vessels
The Full Time MED 3 NC Courses is conducted over 2 weeks. The course has been designed to be completed as timetabled.
If required Fee for Service students may be given up to 12 months from course commencement to successfully complete all course requirements.
The Theory for the follow course component can be completed Online/Remote Learning:
- Engineering Knowledge.
Attendance is required for:
- Elements of Shipboard Safety; and,
- On board/Practical Tuition and Assessment; and,
- Supervised Written Assessments.
MED 3 NC Course participants are required to attend all practical course components, these include but are not limited to:
- vessel operation exercises
- in-water liferafting and survival activities
- use of flares
- use of firefighting equipment
Download Course Guide for more information
Certificate of Completion
The AMSA MED 3 (Marine Engine Driver Grade 3) NC Certificate of Competency (CoC) may allow the holder to perform the following duties:
- Chief Engineer on vessels with an inboard engine with Propulsion Power <500 kW in EEZ (200 nm)
- Second Engineer on vessels with an inboard engine with Propulsion Power <750 kW in EEZ (200 nm)
- Chief Engineer or Second Engineer on vessels with an outboard engine with unlimited propulsion in EEZ (200 nm)
- Assist an engineer in any tasks on board while working under the direct supervision of the person in charge of the vessel’s engines
- Work in the engine room of a vessel <80 m long with Propulsion Power <3000 kW
- If insufficient Sea Service on vessels with inboard diesel engines – Chief Engineer or Second Engineer on a vessel with an outboard engine with unlimited propulsion in EEZ (200 nm)
To achieve an AMSA MED 3 NC CoC you are required to successfully complete the following:
- MAR20418 Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 3 Near Coastal) Course
- AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA) (Assessed during course delivery and valid for 12 months)
- Sea Service
- First Aid (Unit HLTAID003 Provide first aid)
- AMSA Certificate of Competency Application Requirements
Marine Training Services does not offer a First Aid Course.
AMSA Certificate of Competency Application requirements include being at least 16 years old and meeting medical and eyesight requirements.
MED 3 NC Certificate of Competency Qualifying Sea Service
Please see full details of MED 3 NC CoC Sea Service requirements in the National Standards for Commercial Vessels Part D Crew Competencies at https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/regulations-and-standards-vessels/national-standard-commercial-vessels. Further MED 3 NC CoC information is available on the Australian Maritime Safety Authorities website at https://www.amsa.gov.au/qualifications-training/domestic-qualifications/marine-engine-driver-grade-3-near-coastal