1. In a petrol engine, the fuel/air mixture is ignited at the correct instant by:
2. In a diesel engine, the fuel/air mixture is ignited at the correct instant by:
3. When filling portable petrol containers for an outboard the container:
4. In a diesel engine, how is the moment of ignition timed with respect to the position of the crankshaft?
5. In a two-stroke petrol engine, the fuel/air mix is introduced into the cylinder when:
6. What keeps the engine turning between power strokes?
7. From the list below select the problems associated with using keel cooling pipes to cool a marine engine.
8. With heat exchanger cooling, what precautions must be taken in relation to raw water path?
9. When preparing an outboard for winter layup:
10. The engine starts running hotter than normal. Identify the first thing you would check from the statements below:
11. In relation to wet-sump four stroke diesel engine lubrication systems, select the statement from the list below which is correct:
12. The engine lube oil pressure drops. From the list below, identify the first thing you would check:
13. Select the correct answer. A sediment bowl or sludge trap in the fuel system:
14. If you suspect that water and muck may have got into the vessels fuel tank through a bad drum of fuel, what action would you take first?
15. Bleeding of diesel fuel systems, involves the removal of air from all lines and components starting at the tank end, and ending at the injectors.
16. If a petrol outboard engine stops because sea-water has found its way into the carburettor, what will you most likely have to do?
17. The engine appears to be starving for fuel. Identify the first thing you would check:
18. In the event of a fire or explosion on board a vessel, identify from the list below why you would take the time to shut doors and close the ventilation system.
19. What is the first aid treatment for battery electrolyte burns to the eyes?
20. If an alternator stops adequately charging, select the first thing you would check:
21. Although alternators have a long reliable service life the alternator diodes are easily damaged by high or reversed voltages, or stray currents due to welding. The battery and alternator should be disconnected when welding.
22. Select the things you would check if the DC electrical feed to a single piece of equipment fails.
23. What would happen to the bilge pumping system if a strainer was leaking around the lid?
24. Select the correct answer. Bilge pumps in a surveyed vessel must:
25. Select the first thing you would check if you were unable to pump a selected compartment in a vessel:
26. Select the method to protect hydraulic components against contaminants in the hydraulic oil:
27. A by-pass valve is fitted in a hydraulic steering system to allow:
28. Petrol will ignite if exposed to a spark or flame:
29. Battery cabinets and LPG lockers are vented differently because:
31. a. Explain how the raw water cooling system of an engine can be protected from galvanic corrosion
b. Explain how a vessel's under water metal fittings may be protected against galvanic corrosion
32. a. In the diagram below connecting two 12 volt 105 amp hour batteries:
i) Select the batteries connected in Parallel and state the resulting voltage and capacity
ii) Select the batteries connected in Series and state the resulting voltage and capacity
iii) Select the batteries connected in a direct short
iv) State a potential risk or hazard associated with battery maintenance
33. a. Explain how you would bleed/prime the fuel system of a diesel engine starting a the fuel tank
b. Explain why you may need to bleed/prime the fuel system
34. Name the component parts of the bilge pumping system numbered below
35. a. Explain how you would shut down a diesel engine if it was fitted with a turbocharger
b. Why is it necessary to shut down in this manner?