1. What is ‘hypothermia’?
2. Exposure to the elements is a problem in survival conditions. Which of the following actions helps to minimise exposure?
3. Which of these actions offers a better chance of survival in the water?
4. Your vessel is disabled on a long coastal passage. You are 30 miles from shore slowly filling with water but unable to contain the flow. Which is your best immediate action?
5. You have to abandon your vessel several miles offshore.
Which item would be the most important in your grab bag?
6. Why is it important when abandoning a vessel to have as much clothing on as possible?
7. Safety requirements for a specific Australian Domestic vessel are detailed in:
8. An EPIRB signal can be heard by:
9. On passage from Melbourne to San Remo you observe a commercial fishing vessel giving off orange-coloured smoke. What action will you take?
10. There is one substance that should never be given to a person in an emergency. What is it?
11. In a daytime breakdown situation which item would most likely attract attention?
12. On catching fish it should be eaten:
13. An EPIRB, once activated, should be switched off:
14. Help and Huddle postures increase survival time
15. Lifejackets are suitable for long term survival.
16. Do not abandon your vessel until it is absolutely necessary.
17. No water should be issued to survivors in a liferaft for the first 24 hours.
18. Food should be issued to all survivors in a liferaft in the first 24 hours.
19. Anti-seasickness tablets should be issued to only injured and sick in the survival craft.
20. A heliograph can be used at night.
21. An orange smoke signal is more easily seen from aircraft than vessels.
22. Body heat loss is much faster in water than air.
23. Drinking sea water will make survivors more thirsty and reduce their chances of survival
24. Survivors should drink urine when running short of drinking water
25. An employer must take all reasonable care to:
26. On receiving a Distress Call a mariner shall:
27. The muster station should be:
28. Can the emergency tiller be used in the event of a lost rudder?
29. In the event of a fouled propeller should the master dive overboard to clear the fouling
30. Your vessel is completely disabled should you?
31. In heavy weather to maintain stability on a small vessel passengers should:
32. Time expired flares are keep on board for use in an emergency
33. OH&S records and procedures are maintained to:
34. A crew member has been retrieved from the water suffering from hypothermia. Will you: