Welcome to your MED 2 Engineering Knowledge Assessment Part 2 Version 1
Student Assessment Instructions
1. This is a closed book Assessment.
2. The video link between the student and the supervisor is to remain on throughout the assessment.
3. All notes, books and mobile phones are to be removed from the table.
4. Mobile phones are to be turned off and not used during the assessment.
5. Students should read each question carefully before answering.
6. All questions are to be answered.
7. No communication is permitted other than with the Assessment Supervisor.
8. No student may leave the room for the duration of the Assessment.
9. When instructed you may commence the Assessment.
10. To pass, you must obtain a 70% or higher mark.
1. (6 Marks)
On a separate sheet of paper - Sketch a typical fuel tank, label & explain the function of all components.
2. (6 Marks)
a. Sketch and label a typical bilge pumping system incorporating a valve manifold and deck wash and explain how you would pump the engine room bilge.
b. Explain why an engineer may operate the deck wash system prior to pumping the bilge.
3. (6 Marks)
a. Explain the passage and function of lubricating oil in a diesel engine.
b. State the action you would take if the engine oil operation pressure dropped from 60 to 5 psi
4. (6 Marks)
Describe in detail a heat exchanger cooling system for a marine diesel engine and gear box. Include all components of the coolant and raw water circuit.
5. (6 Marks)
Explain in detail the operation of an inline fuel injection pump.
If you have any questions about our courses please send us a message or contact us.
Ph: 03 5229 5432 M: 0493 139 624
Address: 17 Swanston Street, Geelong Vic 3220