Welcome to your MED 2 Engineering Knowledge Assessment Part 3 Version 1
Student Assessment Instructions
1. This is a closed book Assessment.
2. The video link between the student and the supervisor is to remain on throughout the assessment.
3. All notes, books and mobile phones are to be removed from the table.
4. Mobile phones are to be turned off and not used during the assessment.
5. Students should read each question carefully before answering.
6. All questions are to be answered.
7. No communication is permitted other than with the Assessment Supervisor.
8. No student may leave the room for the duration of the Assessment.
9. When instructed you may commence the Assessment.
10. To pass, you must obtain a 70% or higher mark.
1. (10 Marks)
a. On a separate sheet of paper - Sketch and describe the operation of a marine gear box detailing how forward, neutral and astern are obtained.
b. What is meant by a 2:1 reduction in relation to propulsion.
c. The gearbox control in the wheelhouse malfunctions, how may forward propulsion be obtained.
2. (10 Marks)
a. On a separate sheet of paper - Sketch and describe the operation of a refrigeration plant. Identify all components and explain their functions including high and low pressure gasses and liquids.
b. List the hazards of refrigerant gasses.
3. (6 Marks)
List the major components of an alternator and describe its operation.
4. a. (10 Marks)
Describe in detail the operation of a pre-engaged starter motor.
4. b. (2 Marks)
How may you start an engine if the remote starting in the wheel house failed.
If you have any questions about our courses please send us a message or contact us.
Ph: 03 5229 5432 M: 0493 139 624
Address: 17 Swanston Street, Geelong Vic 3220